Pizza is the cursed food of the type 1 diabetic. The combination of that delicious carby, doughy base and those decadent, greasy toppings means that it can seem near to impossible to calculate not only your insulin dose but, the time in which it should be taken in order to counteract the blood sugar rise. I have had many an occasion where I think I have got it right only to see a spike up to 8 hours later – HOW CAN IT TAKE THAT LONG grrrrr?!
Anyway, as we all know, pizza is one of life’s greatest pleasures therefore I went on a mission to find a low carb version that hit the spot in the same way as the usual carb laden ones.
After a few attempts at different base options, I finally found a recipe I could work and with a couple of my own tweaks, I struck gold! Take a look below and have a go for yourself!
LOW CARB PIZZA
170g grated mozzarella
85g ground almonds
2 tbs greek yoghurt
Herbs to taste (I used Thyme and Oregano but anything would work)
Salt and Pepper
This is completely up to you but I used the following:
10 x pitted olives
3 x sundried tomatoes
3tbs olive oil
1 x packet of fresh basil
Other topping ideas
- Put the ground almonds and mozzarella in a bowl in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir to combine and put in for another 30 seconds
- Add yoghurt and mix
- Add whole egg, salt, pepper and herbs
- Press the ball of ‘dough’ out on to a baking tray and put in the oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes (once the base starts to go brown you know it is ready.
- Put the olives, sundried tomatoes, oil and basil in a food processor and blend together until you have a sauce like consistency. Keep adding oil until you have the desired consistency.
- Spread the sauce over the base and top with whatever toppings you choose.
- Pop it back in to the oven for 10 mins to warm everything through.
- Voila – a lovely low carb pizza!
I challenge you to make this for your friends and see if they even notice that it’s not the real deal! I had 2 slices and did 4 units which was perfect, no delayed spike and my sugars stayed steady all night.
DISCLAIMER – Just because this is low carb, do not kid yourself in to thinking it is ‘healthy’ it is still pizza after all! 😉