Picture this….it’s the height of summer, you are sitting in the sunshine, sipping on a nice, cool, crisp, white wine with the smells of freshly cooked paella wafting through the air…. Usually, this is where the dream comes to an unfortunate end when you have to get out the calculator, carbs and cals book and novorapid in order to start carb counting. I am therefore THRILLED to bring to you a particularly yummy low carb paella which will satisfy all those cravings for the summer which now seems sooooo long ago!!
INGREDIENTS – SERVES 4
- 2 x pinches saffron
- 1x red pepper
- 1x yellow pepper
- 1 large cauliflower
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 limes (quartered)
- 150g monkfish
- 80g scallops
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x red onion
- pinch of fresh parsley
- 100g chorizo sausage
- 500ml fish stock
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 11/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 200g frozen peas
- 8x king prawns (shell on)
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- Prepare your fish stock and add the saffron – set aside for saffron to infuse in to the stock.
- Fry your chopped onion, smoked paprika, garlic and chorizo for 5 minutes before adding the peppers, tomatoes and chilli flakes.
- Leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Chop up the cauliflower and blitz in a food processor until it resembles rice.
- Combine the tomato mixture, cauliflower and stock in a large pan and simmer for 15 mins.
- Add the prawns, scallops and monkfish for 5 minutes before adding the frozen peas, parsley and chopped limes.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes and then serve!
I made this at my Mum and Dad’s house on a very balmy August afternoon and we chose to take it down to the beach for a lovely picnic. It works well as a sharing dish as everyone can just dig in and enjoy!
I did 3 units of Novorapid for this and my sugars stayed within target range all night! Scrummy food: 1 Diabetes:0